Friday, June 6, 2008

Leftover Pumpkin

Sunday:
Mmmm...pumpkin curry
from Low Cholesterol, Low
Fat, Low Salt Recipes
cookbook. I'm going to make
it spicier next time though
with a homemade hotsauce
I made from hot peppers at
the farm last season.


I can't resist photos
of AJ's spontaneous
afternoon naps!
He always looks so
cozy.




Monday:AJ and Ryan's snacks: watermelon, rice ball, spinach, edamame. Ryan's rice looks like a Pokeball thanks to some added tomato, nori and a small soy paper circle.

In the afternoon, Ryan went to
his kindergarten orientation. We
live almost next door to an
elementary school, so we're
going to give the local public
schools a try, at least for the
early years.





Tuesday:












The school year is almost at an end. Ryan had his last turn bringing home the class bear "Buddy". Every visit we write about what Ryan and Buddy did at our house in his class journal.

Ryan's snack: dried apricots; cucumber & Tofutti cream cheese sandwiches; baby carrots; cantaloupe & honeydew melon.

Dinner was a quick
pumpkin lasagna (yes,
I STILL have pumpkin
in the freezer from last
fall). I use an easy tofu
filling I invented in place
of the usual ricotta.


Tofu Spinach "Ricotta"

1 lb. firm tofu
1 cup leaf spinach, frozen or thawed
1/2-1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2-1 tsp. salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree.
(If you'd like it more viscous, add a little olive oil.)

I use this in many recipes: lasagna, stuffed pasta shells, manicotti, etc. It's quite versatile.

Wednesday:
Ryan & AJ's snacks: watermelon; leftover lasagna squares; popcorn.

Thursday:
Ryan and Dada went off to work at the farm, despite the light rain. Ryan planted cucumber seeds and thinned basil seedlings in the greenhouse, while Dada transplanted brussels sprouts. It's nice to be able to pack something with nuts for a change!
Ryan's snack: pbj 1/2 sandwich; baby carrots; snow peas; almonds.

Friday:
And here's what happens when you let a 4 year old choose his own snacks...Ryan was sick today, so AJ chose: banana piece; sesame tofu; 2 mini pumpkin-carrot-apple muffins; 2 chocolate sandwich cookies.

4 comments:

Misty said...

The girls loved looking at your blog. Beth wants to start her own food blog, and she was so excited that all the food on your blog was vegetarian! We don't meet many fellow veggies. LOL.

veganf said...

Thanks Misty.
I think a food blog by a kid would be so cool! I know Ryan would enjoy seeing it, he's becoming quite the little foodie.

I recently saw on your GF blog how you found a place that makes vegan GF pizza! Lucky you!!

Us said...

Hi!
I just found this blog because I was doing a Google search for pumpkin carrot apple muffins for my little toddler who won't eat fruits/vegetables! I would love to know where I could get the recipe! It sounds yummy! Thanks!
Jennifer, Canada

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.