Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Butterflies

Monday:
Ryan's lunch: grilled nutritional yeast cheeze sandwich w/ soy cheese & nori Calvin; blueberries; baked tofu; steamed asparagus; stuffing.
This was my first attempt at chibi, or a cartoon/anime bento. I ran out of time in the morning with children & husband yelling that it was time to go, so I didn't have time to add the nori title. But many might recognize Calvin from the cartoon Calvin & Hobbes.

AJ's snack: stuffing;
asparagus; Veggie
Booty; baked tofu;
grilled cheeze
sandwich.

We already had leftovers
to add to lunches after
an early Thanksgiving
celebration at my sister-in-law's new inn.

Tuesday:
Ryan's "family" lunch: yellow bell pepper; sesame tofu; rice ball "people"; asparagus; sliced black olives; broccoli.

AJ and his class made
vegetable-print vests
and clay necklaces for
their harvest feast at
preschool.

After school Dada took
Ryan, AJ & Maia to visit
their aunt, cousins, grandma
& 97 year old great
grandma.

Thanksgiving Day:
Our noontime dinner: garlic mashed potatoes/celeriac, stuffing, spicy baked tofu, broccoli, corn, roasted balsamic butternut squash pastina risotto (similar to this), cranberry cabbage (from a Russian cookbook of my mother's--she's Russian/Latvian), sauteed swiss chard, pickled beets, braised celery (veganized from Alton Brown's recipe here), crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, pickled asparagus, pumpkin pecan bread, pickles, cranberry apple cider.

We did a "dessert dinner"
of pumpkin creme pie,
baked apples, and vanilla
soy ice cream.





Many thanks to River
of Wing-It Vegan! She
tagged my blog for a
Butterfly Award!

Now it is up to me to
pass on the award to
10 more blogs of my
choosing. I liked River's
"veggie moms" theme.
I am going to deviate
from the expected food
blogs and choose 10 of my favourite parenting/parent-authored blogs, some food-related, most not. I am not concerned with whether or not these blogs have been awarded in the past--these are my picks. Enjoy!

http://www.theattachedparent.com/

These bloggers can post the Butterfly Award picture on their blog and give the award to 10 bloggers they think are the coolest!
Whee!!!

3 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

The Calvin lunch has left me speechless! You have the luckiest little kiddos!

Your sister in law's inn is so gorgeous! I've always thought it would be nice to have an inn, but I'm sure I'm not considering all the work that comes with it!

What a delicious Thanksgiving feast, and I love the idea of a dessert dinner!

SW said...

Wonderful nori Calvin!
-bonbon

veganf said...

River, I'll tell her you said so! They're working very hard to make it as "green" as possible, and offer as much organic & local food as possible in their breakfast offerings...which I'm sure they'd make vegan by request, bouncing stuff off me as necessary. Likewise with their other inn in Newport, RI.