Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Foraging for Farm Camp

I'm always amazed at how I can pull together a meal when I look in the fridge and feel like we're out of food. Some leftovers, berries from the bush, the last few pieces of bread, mother-in-law's rhubarb jam...voila!
Ryan & AJ's lunches: spicy baked tofu; shiitake mushrooms; berries (for Ryan) & raisins (for AJ); cucumber slices; carrot sticks; 1/2 pbj sandwich. They also shared some of the farm's daily Stone Soup, having contributed a can of kidney beans.
This was AJ's first time at "Farm Camp". The weather couldn't have been more perfect for him...overcast and 70.
I told him, "I'm glad you had such a great time at camp today."
And he said, "No, you mean, The Best Day Ever!"

An hour after they got home, I went back to the farm to pick up our weekly share: a couple heads of lettuce, mixed baby salad greens, beets & greens, cabbage, various summer squash, carrots, swiss chard, peas, peas shoots, garlic scapes, strawberries, and all manner of herbs.

Just as the strawberry season
comes to a close, the raspberry
season begins. I picked a pint
of black raspberries from our
bushes yesterday, and my
husband picked another pint
today...in addition to what goes
directly into the boys' mouths,
or Ryan's "iron chef" creations.

No comments: