Thursday, December 3, 2009

Unseasonably warm

The day began with wind and heavy rain. Ryan asked for "something in a Thermos". Easy, his favourite, lentil soup. And we even had oyster crackers to snaz it up a bit. But minutes before the boys left for school the sky cleared, the sun shone brightly, and it turned into a windy almost 70F degree day. In December.
Ryan's lunch: a side of oyster crackers; checkered apple slice; carrots; pickles; sauteed mushrooms; black olives; cucumber slices; a Thermos of lentil soup.
And donations for the
school food drive: tri-
coloured pasta for AJ,
sugar cookies mix for
Ryan.

The high winds took
down some big trees
in the area...
We hike a lot of trails on Sudbury Valley Trustees conservation land, including woods behind our CSA. Check out this Chia rock I found today!
And here's a little froggy
I found...







...and not 2 feet from him was
this sneaky snake. I didn't
stick around to see if the frog
became its lunch.

There
are
many
sturdy
bridges
crossing
the
small
brooks
in the
area,
built
to bear
the
weight
of
horses.
This
area
used
to be
fox
hunt
territory. But it is still frequented by trail riders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're braver than me. When I see a snake and turn and run the other way. lol

Anonymous said...

Oops, I messed up on that comment. I meant to say "When I see a snake I turn and run the other way."